Breast Cancer Survivor

Breast Cancer Survivor
"We cannot direct the wind but we can adjust the sails"

Family photo November 2008

Family photo November 2008

Friday, March 13, 2009

Last Surgical Consult 3/12/09

I met with my 3rd surgeon, that my oncologist recommended, yesterday. He was very nice and very thorough. I realy like him unlike the last one that wanted to cut my entire chest out.

He re-ran my pathology slides on the spot, I was amazed. They said that they agreed, the margins were clear but that they thought it was a new tumor not a re-currence. This is good and bad. Good because it didn't have the "fingers" that the original one had so it hadn't branched out yet but bad because it survived through the 1st chemo.

He said he wouldn't recommend any more surgery for me right now even though he feels more breast tissue than he would like under the skin. He also said that unless he opened me up he couldn't tell exactly how much tissue was there. The tissue matters because it's where a new tumor could potentially grow in the future if it's still resistant to the new chemo I just finished. The tissue he's feeling might also be fat since I am about 10 lbs heavier than I was when they did the mastectomies thanks to steroids. I didn't think of that until we left his office. I'll check with my plastic surgeon to see what he thinks. I typicaly did gain or lose in my chest when I fluctuated in weight but I'm not sure if that can still happen after a mastectomy?

His main soncern was that it was resistant the first time therefore microscopic cancer cells could be floating around somewhere else in my body waiting to form a new tumor or metastasise. There's no way to detect this other than the scans that I already do. He just suggested that since I do have some breast tissue left in there that I also do mammograms bi-annually. I think this is a good idea since a mammogram could detect something well before I can feel it. By the time I feel it, it could be too late.

I am waiting to hear from the radiation doctor to see when I will start that. I think it will be in a few more weeks.

Overall, pretty much more of the same. No more sugery for now, and radiation. That is a huge load off my mind. I really wasn't looking forward to it. Hopefully this will all be behind me in late May.

TTFN,
Erica

2 comments:

christina said...

I am happy to hear the latest news!! I know you still have a long 6 to 8 weeks with radiation but I pray that after this you are done. I can't wait to spend time with you this summer, we can enjoy our kids and live life through their eyes for a bit (carefree and full of fun, not a care in the world). Love you, Christina

Katie said...

You are through the worst of it Erica, and remain one of the strongest people I have ever known. Stay positive and the radiation will go by quickly. Looking forward to seeing you this summer when you visit Maine.

Hugs from Maine,

Katie

How it all began......

Welcome to my website! This site was created by my wonderful friend Angela to keep everyone I love updated on my “Journey” beating Breast Cancer.

I was diagnosed with Breast Cancer on December 19, 2007 @ 4:30 in the afternoon. It was quite possibly the worst phone call I’ve ever received. The doctors kept telling me that I was “too young”… it’s probably just a cyst or a fibroid (benign tumor). So, I had convinced myself of the same. Imagine my shock and fear when the doctor said “I hate to tell you this, but it IS cancer.”

I didn’t really know how to react. At first I cried a little. Then, I was ok. Then cried some more, then, ok. It wasn’t until I saw the surgeon and learned of the best option for survival, a double mastectomy, that I really broke down. I had a meltdown for a couple of days and then I was fine. I’ve been pretty good with it ever since. I know that I can beat this sneaky disease and I will live a long life with the loves of my life; my husband Jason, and my 2 boys, Will & Nathan.

Jason had a hard time at first. He just kept thinking the worst, that I wouldn’t make it. He’s doing much better now that we’ve seen all the doctors and the prognosis is good.

The kids don’t really understand. Will (who’s almost 4) thinks mommy is having an operation, that’s it. Nathan just turned 1 so he just wants to be held all the time. That will be the hardest thing on me. I love to hold my babies and I won’t be able to pick them up for awhile.

Thankfully, my mom, Kathy, has come to the rescue. She is here as long as we need her. I am truly blessed to have such a wonderful mother and family. My sister is coming from Alaska, pregnant and all, to help out too. My dad is coming back soon and Jason’s parents, Rick & Jan along with his whole extended family are just a phone call away if I need them. Unfortunately, my brother, Steve can’t come although he wants to. I even have my friends from Maine that want to come and help! Thank you Christina and Nikki for offering. My friends here, Angela, Oti, Julie & Niki are all on standby also. They’re ready at a moments notice for whatever we need. I love you all, I can’t say how good it makes me feel to be loved.

Everyone I know is praying for us which is so wonderful. I appreciate all the prayers. Only God knows what will happen but I’m confident that he will pull me through.

Anyway, I hope you log on to find out how we’re doing down here in Texas. My surgery is January 9th @ 7:30 a.m. I’ll be in the hospital for 2 nights.

I hope this site can help anyone else who gets this horrible disease, although I pray that none of you ever have to experience it.

Love to all!
Erica